Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sleep

By Zombimom.com
12 Oct 2008

All my life I’ve slept well
Blessed with a rich dreamlife
It was a gift I treasured
Now it’s gone
Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleeve of care,The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast....
Macbeth, Act II Scene II

This is what sleep means to me now
The room is dark except for a nightlight in the corner
Casting a glow over Tim’s basin
The nightlight puts terror in my heart
The light at the end of the tunnel
Is an oncoming train

Sleep is like a runaway train
Hungrily lapping up the minutes
To build a jigsaw of stolen moments
That quilt the night together into a semblance of sleep

What’s missing is the deep sleep
Even when you’re down
The world outside flashes by in surreal, aching bursts
I live in REM
But my dreams are ghostly
And disappear like a puff of smoke when I wake up

The secret to overcoming the avalanche
Is to take an afternoon nap with baby
Without the nightlight I fall into deep sleep
For one juicy intense hour
My body drinks from the ‘chief nourisher in life’s feast …’
(Thanks to Dr. Heidi for the tip)

1 comment:

tam said...

I love this. Beautiful images. Ooo, I love my sleep so much. Sterkte my friend it won't go on for ever.